Frequently Asked QuestionsFinancial Assistance FAQsMemorial Affairs FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

Here you will find a list of frequently asked questions relating to the Cuyahoga County Veterans Service Commission. Use the quick links on the left to navigate through the topics.
Financial Assistance
Q: How do I know what documents are required in order to start an application?
A: Information packets are available on our website.
Q: Do I need an appointment to make an application?
A: No. Walk-in service is available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Q: What if I am fired or quit my job?
A: If you are fired or quit your job, you are ineligible for assistance for a period of 180 days.
Q: When will I know if my application is approved?
A: The Eligibility Specialist will inform you at the completion of the application process.
Q: What if I am not a Cuyahoga County resident?
A: Please call 1 (866) 915-8387 to be routed to the appropriate Veteran Service Commission.
Memorial Affairs
Q: How can I get a Presidential Memorial Certificate?
A: You or the funeral home can contact our department and we will submit the paperwork.
Q: Is there an allowance if I decide to purchase a private headstone rather than ordering a free government headstone?
A: No.
Q: Is there any time limit on ordering a government headstone?
A: You may order a government headstone at any time.
Q: How can I locate a military discharge on a deceased veteran?
A: Contact our office and we will assist you.
Q: As a veteran, what does my family need when I die?
A: Always let your loved ones know where you keep your Honorable Discharge. We urge you to record your discharge at the Cuyahoga County Recorder's Office. They will keep it on file. Also, keep our number available so we can assist your family during this difficult time.
Q: Is there any burial assistance for veterans' indigent spouses?
A: Indigent burial benefits are available if the spouse was married to an honorably discharged veteran.

Connect with the Cuyahoga County Veterans Service Commission.

Main Office:
1849 Prospect Avenue
Cleveland, Ohio 44115

(216) 698-2600

Toll Free:


Have an upcoming event? Request a Service Officer to attend it and serve you.