- Veterans Service Officers
- Financial Assistance
- Memorial Affairs
- VA Medical Transportation
- Payment Processing
- Veterans Home Tours
The Cuyahoga County Veterans Service Commission understands the issues today’s veterans are facing. In fact, most of our staff is comprised of veterans dedicated to serving their fellow veterans and their families. We invite you to learn more about our departments, and to reach out to us for no-cost assistance. It’s our way of saying thank you for your outstanding service to our county. We are honored to serve you.
Our Financial Assistance program was designed to provide temporary and emergency financial assistance to eligible veterans, their dependents, and surviving spouses. Applicants must demonstrate financial need as determined by the VSC and are otherwise eligible under the Ohio Revised Code, Section 5901. Click here to learn more.
There are several no-cost memorial benefits that may be available to you as an honorably discharged veteran. We take great care to help veterans and their families secure funeral and burial benefits so that you receive a dignified service with lasting memorial recognition. Click here to learn more.
Our Payment Processing department is responsible for processing vouchers for payment toward things like rent / mortgage, security deposits, food, utilities, shoes and clothing, and personal hygiene. Click here to learn more.
Veterans Service Officers
The Cuyahoga County Veterans Service Commission has National and State Accredited Service Officers at the Prospect Avenue office and at the Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Centers (Parma and Wade Park). They are your best no-cost resource to help you receive all of the VA benefits that you are entitled to. You can also submit a request for a Service Officer attend or speak at a Veterans’ event. Our Service Officers are here to serve you. Click here to learn more.
Veterans Service Officers
The Cuyahoga County Veterans Service Commission’s Service Division has National and State Accredited Service Officers at the Prospect Avenue office and at the Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Centers (Parma and Wade Park).
These Service Officers can assist the veteran, their dependents or survivors in filing for VA benefits including service-connected compensation, non-service connected disability pension, survivor’s pension, death and burial benefits, VA healthcare enrollment, education, home loan guaranty certificates, vocational rehabilitation, upgrading or correcting DD214s, and any other benefits available. They also file for death benefits in association with the Memorial Affairs Division.
Please NOTE, we are not a branch of the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). We do not approve or deny VA claims.
NEVER FILE A CLAIM(S) ON YOUR OWN! Those wishing to apply for VA benefits or entitlements may call (216) 698-2393 for additional information or come into the office Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. for assistance.
Service Officer Checklist
VA Form 21-2680 – Request for Aid and Attendance
Attendant Affidavit – In Home Health Care
Ohio Veterans Home Application
The purpose of financial assistance is to provide temporary financial aid to those who are in need. Assistance will be given to those who have an emergency or hardship as determined by the V.S.C. and are otherwise eligible under the Ohio Revised Code, Section 5901.
- A person who served in the Armed Forces of the United States on active military duty and was discharged under honorable conditions, and who either served on active duty for reasons other than training or while serving on active duty for training, incurred a disability recognized by the Department of Veterans Affairs or Department of Defense as service-connected; an active duty member of the Armed Forces of the United States, or the spouse, surviving spouse, dependent parent, minor child, or ward of a veteran or active duty member of the Armed Forces of the United States; AND
- A bona fide resident who has lived in Cuyahoga County for 3 months prior to the date of application. Proof of residency is the responsibility of the individual seeking assistance; AND
- Must demonstrate emergency financial hardship and provide documentation as outlined in our Financial Assistance Packet.
Financial Assistance is provided for many things. Among them are:
- Mortgage / Rent / Security Deposit
- Clothing / Shoes
- Personal Hygiene
- Medical Transportation
- Other financial assistance needs may be considered on a case by case basis
Those who desire financial assistance may print the Financial Assistance Packet. The packet details the required documentation needed to complete an application. If you have further questions please call (216) 698-2632. Applications are taken and processed daily on a first-come, first-served basis.
We take great care in helping veterans and their family members secure financial and burial benefits. Our Memorial Affairs Officer can work with you to determine which services you may be eligible for as an honorably discharged veteran. No-cost memorial benefits include the following.
Free County Graves
- Cleveland Memorial Gardens and West Park Cemeteries have graves located in Veteran’s sections for indigent veterans only.
Indigent Burial Benefit
- Veteran has no savings or insurance to cover the expense of his/her funeral.
- Family has no funds to pay the funeral bill in full.
- Funeral home applies for benefit, maximum being $1000.00
- Funeral bill must not exceed $7500.00
- Click here to obtain the Indigent Burial application.
VA Burial Benefit
- Veteran was in receipt of pension or compensation from the VA or died in a VA facility or VA contracted nursing home.
- The VA provides a U.S. flag at no cost, to drape the casket of a veteran who served honorably in the armed forces.
- The funeral home can arrange this for you.
- The Department of Veterans Services provides the headstone at no charge. We will assist in filling out the application.
- If a veteran’s grave marker needs to be reset, please notify the cemetery superintendent.
Memorial Day Reimbursements
Per ORC 307.66 (http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/307.66) County must reimburse appropriate organizations for Memorial Day Expenses.
•Amount cannot exceed $500.
•Organization must submit Affidavit (Must be Notarized)
•Must submit statement of expenses.
•For questions, contact Mary Kitko at 216-698-2651 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Ohio Western Reserve National Cemetery
- Referrals done daily.
Blue Star Service Banner
- Families of service members that are called up to active duty in the military are entitled to a banner if they reside in Cuyahoga County.
Presidential Memorial Certificate
- A certificate which bears the president’s signature expressing the country’s grateful recognition of the veteran’s service in the armed forces. Applications are taken daily in our office.
- Supplied by the Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Locates DD214s for department or funeral homes to order military honors.
- Assists families with arranging memorial services.
For information, please email: email@example.com
VA Medical Transportation
The CCVSC offers bus tickets to assist veterans with transportation to their VA medical appointments. Please bring a list of appointments (available from the VA) to any of our offices to receive a bus ticket.
Need Paratransit? We can help with that as well. Call us at (216) 698-2600.
The Cuyahoga County Veterans Service Commission’s Payment Processing is responsible for processing vouchers for payment towards Rent / Mortgage, Security Deposits, Food, Utilities, Shoes and Clothing, and Personal Hygiene.
If you are a Client or Vendor who would like to inquire about the status of payment on a specific voucher, please fill out the following form pertaining to you.
All inquiries should be made after a period of 30 days following the date of submission of a voucher.
An email or telephone response to the inquiry will be made within 48 hours from submittal of this form.
Veterans Home Tours
The Veterans Service Commission (VSC) takes eligible veterans to tour the Ohio Veterans Home in Sandusky, Ohio. We depart the VSC at approximately 8:30 a.m. on the scheduled day. Veterans will tour the facility, have lunch, and return to the VSC at approximately 2:30 p.m.
Veterans must meet the following criteria for residence at the Ohio Veterans Home:
- Have been an Ohio resident for one year.
- Have served on active duty during a time of war or armed conflict or be the recipient of the Purple Heart, Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Navy/Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal, Vietnam Service Medal, or Southwest Asia Service Medal.
- Have received their most recent discharge under honorable conditions.
- Be disabled by disease, wounds, or otherwise and, by reason of such disability, incapable of earning a living. Individuals who are current drug and alcohol abusers, psychotics, or have active tuberculosis are not eligible for immediate admission.
The Veterans Service Commission will be taking individuals for Ohio Veterans Home Tours in Sandusky, Ohio.
Tours are based on individual requests.
Veteran Home Tours have been suspended until further notice.